Festivals, Residencies, Visits and Conferences
Since February 2022, I now have many more live visits to schools. I continue telling stories live via the internet. Most of this work is commissioned by schools and public libraries, or through Poetry Ireland’s Writers-in-Schools scheme, or via Authors Aloud (please contact me by email for further information).
A new project with Loughborough University, “Branching Out” will see me doing various community storytelling events in York, Milton Keynes and Cardiff from May through August 2022. If any schools or libraries in those cities are interested in having me visit when I’m in their area, do please let me know.
CURRENT WORK AND EVENTS:
- Branching Out: An academic arts project with Loughborough University which incorporates and assesses the use of narratives in addressing the climate crises. Branching Out specifically looks at how we feel about and view trees and forests by relating and sharing folk tales and myths. The project will engage with Community Groups in York, Milton Keynes and Cardiff.
- Lion’s part Theatre Company–Special May Day Celebration: telling stories at the George Inn, the Cross Bones graveyard and around Borough Market, and other points around Bankside and Borough
- Poetry Ireland–Writers in Schools: Over the spring and summer terms of 2022, I’ll be visiting Dunluce School (Bushmills), St Patrick’s Academy (Lisburn), Gortin Primary School (Co. Tyrone), Aston Village Educate Together National School (Drogheda), Burrow National School (Sutton, Dublin), St Mark’s High School (Warrenpoint), Ashgrove Primary School (Glengormley), St Genevieve High School (Belfast), St Teresa’s Primary School (Belfast), and Methody (Belfast); I’ll also be leading mentoring sessions for writers and storytellers new to the PI WiS scheme.
- School Visits: Hey with Sion Primary School (Oldham), International School of Florence (online), Blue Gate Fields Junior School (Tower Hamlets), St Thomas Senior National School (Jobstown, South Dublin)
- Sailortown Stories–ongoing oral history project, gathering anecdotes, memories, stories, and histories of the Rotterdam Bar and Pat’s Bar, two important music venues in Belfast during the worst of the Troubles. Supported by a grant from Northern Ireland Arts Council
- Lancashire Storytelling Festival, 2022, 2023 with Heritage Learning Lancashire. I’ll be helping with the festival and championship, visiting in March 2022, and the second festival in 2023.
NEW PUBLICATION: Story Listening and Experience in Early Childhood. Donna Schatt and Patrick Ryan. (PalgraveMacmillan) (more information on publications page)